200 g butter or margarine, softened
250 ml (210 g) castor sugar
4 extra-large eggs
5 ml vanilla essence
375 ml (210 g) Snowflake self-raising flour
1 ml salt
Cream cheese icing
150 g butter or margarine, softened
6 x 250 ml (800 g) icing sugar, sifted
250 g cream cheese
10 ml vanilla essence
about 15 ml milk
1. Cream butter and castor sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and creamy. Add essence.
2. Sift flour and salt together. Add to egg mixture and mix well until smooth.
3. Divide the mixture between three mixing bowls, making sure that the weight of all three mixtures is equal. Pick three of the colours (remember you’re going to be making the recipe twice to get all six colours) and add a little into each mixture, adding more until you are happy with the colour.
4. Spoon mixtures into three lined and greased 20 cm round cake pans. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 15 minutes. Leave in pans for a few minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
5. Repeat this recipe using the remaining three food colourings to achieve your six layer rainbow cake.
6. Icing: Cream butter and icing sugar together. Add cream cheese, essence and just enough milk to beat to a smooth, spreadable consistency. Do not over-mix.
7. To assemble: Spread some icing onto the purple sponge, making sure to spread icing right to the edge. Place blue sponge on top of iced purple sponge and repeat this icing process following with green, yellow, orange and finally red.
8. Spread a thin layer of icing all over the cake to secure any loose crumbs on the surface of the cake. Refrigerate cake for 15 minutes to allow the crumb coat to set. Spread the remaining icing all over the sides and top of the cake.