180 g dark chocolate, chopped
5 extra-large eggs, separated
200 ml (170 g) castor sugar
180 g butter or margarine, softened
30 ml Snowflake cornflour
1 ml salt
200 g ground almonds
60 g strawberries or raspberries, sliced
icing sugar for dusting
1. Melt chocolate in a microwave. Take out every 20 seconds and stir until completely melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add half of castor sugar and continue beating until soft peak stage. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and remaining castor sugar together. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift cornflour and salt together and add.
4. Add a little of the melted chocolate to the egg mixture. Beat well and add remaining chocolate. Add ground almonds and fold in the egg whites until well mixed.
5. Spoon mixture into a lined and greased 23 cm loose-bottom springform cake pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 30 – 35 minutes or until done. Leave in pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Layer berries onto cake and dust with icing sugar when serving.
Chocolate ganache icing.:
Combine 100 g dark, chopped chocolate, 80 ml fresh cream and 10 ml butter in a small, heavy-based saucepan. Stir over low heat to melt. Stir until smooth, leave for a few minutes to cool and pour over cake.