Serves: Makes 150
Prep time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 50 minutes
Skill Level: Medium
2.5 kg Snowflake cake flour
15 ml salt
375 ml (300 g) sugar
20 g (2 sachets) instant dry yeast
2 extra-large eggs
250 g margarine (preferably not butter), melted
about 1 litre lukewarm water
385 g can condensed milk
1. Sift flour and salt together. Add sugar and yeast.
2. Whisk eggs, melted margarine, water and condensed milk together. Add to dry ingredients and mix well to a soft dough.
3. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 – 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes, or until doubled in size.
4. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape into balls and place into deep, greased 24 x 34 cm oven pans. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 50 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool slightly.
6. Cut or break into pieces while still warm. Dry out in a cool oven at about 70 °C for 6 – 8 hours, or overnight. Store in an airtight container.